Prospex GIS October 2018 upgrade guide
Upgrading to Prospex 4.5.173 offers two major benefits to users:
- It brings postcode data in-line with the latest Royal Mail standards available for Prospex, including newly created postcodes and removing those that have been retired.
- Updates the raster data / maps in the background so that it is in-line with the latest Ordnance Survey and Collins Bartholomew map sets. This new data is also web based, freeing up local system resources and allowing us to update it in real-time without users themselves having to worry about ad-hoc downloads and installs of new data.
Before you begin, you will need:
- A company-specific link to your update files - this will be on the email you received from Beacon Dodsworth that directed you to this page.
- Administration privileges for the machine that is being upgraded. Please ensure you have this, or a user with such privileges is at hand before you start, as some stages will time-out if an authorised user doesn't approve them.
Download the update files
These instructions and screenshots use the default web browser for Windows 10 (edge), other browsers may vary slightly from this example.
- Click on the update link in the email sent to you from Beacon Dodsworth: this will take you to the download page.
- Click on the "download" button.
- Your browser may run a security scan before running the Prospex Downloader, this is normal.
Install the update
- When the download is complete, the installer will say "This will install Prospex 4.5. Do you wish to continue?" Click "yes"
- You will be asked if you want to allow this app to make changes to your device. A user with Administrator privileges will need to select yes, and this box will time out if not granted permission within a certain amount of time.
- Prospex will then go through an installation wizard. Simply selecting "next" for all of the prompts should take you through the process.
- Keep all components selected.
- If you have previously had Prospex raster data installed, the installer will detect it and offer to remove it in order to free up disk space. Due to its size, this could take 5-10 minutes on a slower machine, but will take under 5 minutes on most machines. If you decide to keep the files and later want to remove them, please contact Beacon Dodsworth for advice.
- Finally, click on "Finish" to complete the installation. Prospex is now updated. Double click on the Prospex icon on your desktop or start menu to start using it.
If you encounter any problems with download, install, or using the new version, please get in touch and we'll be able to help. During office hours, you can use the live chat dialogue in the bottom right of your screen, or you can contact us using the usual contact methods.
Your continued use of this site is taken as implied consent to receive cookies from us and our analytics partners.